QLD | 7,865Kms
2011 JUST BIKES Build Off Runner Up 1988 Honda GB400
JUST Bikes 26/01/2012
Following the ‘SFX’ project, our first salt-flat racer build, the focus of the Salt Lake Sickle (SLS) was to create a smoother, more flowing overall design, rather than a stripped-back machine where the engine was the focus. The build had to look low, stealthy and mean, but still offer rider comfort.
Based on a 1988 Honda GB400 with 400cc SOHC single cylinder engine and radial four valve combustion chamber.
• Build started with a bare frame and engine; the priority was to find a tank that matched the design vision. Once sourced, this had to be extensively reshaped to fit around the Honda engine and frame.
• Frame was trimmed of excess weight, with everything aft of the rear shock mounts removed and strengthening gussets added to key areas.
• Dry sump design of GB400 engine allowed placement of twin megaphone exhausts under the engine without compromising ride height or lean angle.
• Wheelbase narrowed through modified fork and swing arm height.
• Seat and tailpiece designed and shaped to suit the design.
• New wiring loom made to replace the factory loom. Bulk of the loom runs within the frame for appearance, as well as clearance of key items like the fuel tank.
• Custom fabricated aluminium electrics compartment to house the lightweight battery and CDi module.
• Reworked inlet/exhaust ports, cut and lapped valve seats.
• Custom cam grind for increased torque and more comfortable commuter riding.
• 40mm Keihin carb replaced the factory spec item for ease of servicing and greater tunability.
• Frame sandblasted then painted in Raider-developed 2-pack gloss black. Same paint used on fork boots and wheel centres.
• Wheel rims powdercoated black and fitted with stainless steel spokes.
• Custom adjustable rear-set footpeg and linkage design for better ergonomics and competition riding position.
• Large, centrally-mounted speedometer in the style of the classic Brough Superiors and post-War Vincents. OEM switchgear removed, replaced with retro controls, aircraft-style starter button and subtle LED warning lights set in the top triple clamp.
• Carbon fibre wrap for tank, bobbed rear guard and chain guard.
• Estimated 173 hours work in this build, both before and during the Sydney Motorcycle Show.
Points of Interest
The carbon fibre treatment was a last minute addition to the build and something of a gamble. We had never tried this finish before, and literally picked up the carbon wrap on our way down to Sydney! So, needless to say, we were apprehensive when we fitted the carbon wrapped pieces onto the bike at the Show for the first time. As the saying goes, “fools rush in where angels fear to tread”, but judging by the comments of those many thousands of visitors to the JUST BIKES Build Off, these fools made the right choice!
This Bike is for Sale
$14,990 – sale price includes 6 mths rego (or half of 12 mths reg cost) and a 6 mth warranty. Contact Raider Motorsport for further details.
Coffs Harbour, NSW
Ph: (02) 6651 2405